Indian internet users’ behaviors are changing. People have started to show more love towards streaming content. That’s why more competition is coming into the field of music streaming. From IndiaTimes to Airtel, all are trying to catch users. The main focus is to provide more subscriptions rather than ad based streaming to compensate for license fees. To attract Indian users, pricing has been made very affordable. Option for carrier based billing has been added also. There are a number of online music providers specially for India. Each one is having their own pros and cons. Let’s compare popular music streaming providers and get some useful tips and tricks for using them.
- You can earn upto Rs. 100 talktime by referring your friends to download mobile application. You earn times points for different activities, which you can redeem later for goodies.
- Radio and Playlists are having nice collection of songs.
- Addition of social activities, You can see what your friends have listened.
- You can get lyrics and video for some songs. Even Karaoke option is there, you can record your voice and listen. Though these features are available on web only.
- Option of carrier based payment for one day(Rs 5) and 7 days(Rs 30) subscription.
- For some of the current trending songs, you get the most annoying pop up “this song is available on web only”. It means you cannot play the song on your mobile device.
- No equalizer
Saavn once partnered with google to reach the broader audience. You must have seen Ranbir Kapoor promoting Saavn.
- Saavn gives you option to set your playback speed to a bottom of 8 kbps. Even if you are in very slow network, you can get uninterrupted streaming.
- Get two month pro subscription when you do shopping on Snapdeal.
- Simply Tweet your song requests to @SaavnRadio to add these to Radio. More details
- Seven days free trial for first time users.
- Option of carrier based payment for one day(Rs 5), 7 days(Rs 30) and 30 days(Rs 110) subscription.
- Having way around for subscriptions, You can use Lucky patcher, Cracked APK file or Saavn Downloader
- No Equalizer
- Maximum playback bits rate is limited to 128 kbps in both mobile and web, even if you are a paid user.
- Ad free for free users also.
- Free one month trial.
- Best offer of airtel subscribers. One month subscription at just Rs. 29. For Rs 129 get one month subsciption without any data charges. Be cautious though because free data is limited to 500 songs only.
- Easy and fluid UI
- No Equalizer
- Not available on web.
- One month free trial.
- Addition of videos, though you can’t play full videos in free version.
- No option for carrier based payment. Only one plan available, Rs 110 per month
- Most advertisements among all.
5. Other Online Music provoders
(Vodafone Music, Guvera Music, Raaga.com, MusicIndiaOnline.com, Dhingana and more…)
Guvera looks promising, I was wondering, i was able to play cached songs in offline mode also.
Vodafone Music is currently available to Vodafone subscribers only. They are providing one month free subscription on verifying your mobile number.
Raaga, MusicIndiaOnline, Dhingana, these used to be pioneer when big players were not in the battle.
MusicIndiaOnline is trying new user interfaces, but it doesn’t look promising enough to make a come back.
Dhingana has been acquired by Rdio, which is not available in india yet. Rdio will be launched in India soon.
Google Play Music the default music player of most of the android devices is having very less collection of Indian music.
The battle will be high when the biggest international music provider enters India, You guessed it right, Spotify. India is a difficult market because users are splitted into many regions and getting licenses is hard.
The revolution has begun, gaana and saavn leaded it. As of now, Saavn has maximum downloads of 10 million on Play Store.
|UI, & Features||Overall Songs Availability||Regional Songs Availablity||Platform||Ease of Use|
|Gaana||(4 / 5)||(4 / 5)||(4 / 5)||(4 / 5)|
|Saavn||(3.5 / 5)||(4.5 / 5)||(4.5 / 5)||(4 / 5)|
|Wynk||(4 / 5)||(4 / 5)||(4 / 5)||(4.5 / 5)|
|Hungama||(3.5 / 5)||(3 / 5)||(3.5 / 5)||(3.5 / 5)|